piPOIAlert
pipLightControl

Forum
BugTracker / Roadmap

Freeware List

de en

macpat

(Beta-Tester)

Hi unt danke for your warm welcome! I downloaded the beta, registered it at Symbian and it installed fine on my C7. The program does start and immediately searches for the GPS. In the meanwhile I took a look at the POI database, but the info says 0 POI's. I saved the piPOIAlert_Demo.txt file in UTF-16 format with Babelpad and really used the correct format. To give you an idea:
3.16565,50.97565,R32,90
3.16422,50.97572,R32,90
3.13208,50.98100,R32,90
3.13272,50.98127,R32,90
and so on, with one blank line at the end.
I did put it in the data/piPOIAlert map on the drive where I installed the program.
Still no POI's in the database.
Then I decided to add five POI's manually, reload the database, and... it still says 0 POI's in the database.
Obviously I am doing something wrong, I feel like an amateur :-( and I'm soooo eager to try the program ;-)
Oh silly me, what can I try next? What am I overlooking?

03.03.11, 23:05:05

pip

(Administrator)

Nokia 5800XM (S60 5th), Sony Xperia arc S, Google Nexus 4
hmm, i suppose there's sth wrong with your poi file. the layout you posted looks fine, so r u sure u r saving it in the right format?
i would suggest to open your file with the normal windows notepad and then save it as "unicode" ... that should do it.

piPOIAlert changelog / roadmap

wenn dir piPOIAlert gut gefällt, würde ich mich sehr über eine gute bewertung im entsprechenden store freuen
03.03.11, 23:28:34

DaveNokia

(Beta-Tester)

Nokia E71 (Symbian 3rd Ed. FP1)
You have to rename (or copy) piPOIAlert_Demo.txt to piPOIAlert.txt and then reload the database.
03.03.11, 23:46:30

DaveNokia

(Beta-Tester)

piPOIAlert also works fine with OVI maps, but when mini view mode is chosen it's better to put it in background as well, because otherwise it's too slow to work with.

Maybe in a future version when mini view mode is selected it can be made such that it is automatically in background mode, otherwise it is necessary to enter piPOIAlert again to set the mode in background.
04.03.11, 00:23:51

macpat

(Beta-Tester)

Hi Pip and DaveNokia; danke schon for the tips. I renamed the file (actually, removed 'demo') and this part is 100% OK. The program does find all the POI's while driving.
Now there's another rather strange thing: the first time I tested the program it did give an audio warning when I approached a gatso. And that was it freuen Ever since the audio warnings are gone. I checked all settings five times but the wave files are present, I configured by setting the “alert due time”/“2nd alert due time” in the settings and finally put 'Alert based on speed' off. It's a mystery! ;-) Sound volume is at maximum too. I read that POI keywords for the alarm type on the PopUp-alert are searched in the POI description (in POI file). This is a typical line from my POI database:
4.38876,52.05723,A12,100
4.56303,51.88848,A16,100
Should I put for example GATSO after the route description?
Example:
4.38876,52.05723,A12 Gatso,100
4.56303,51.88848,A16 Gatso,100
Could this be the reason why the sound doesn't play?
Cheers and keep up the good work, the program is great!!
08.03.11, 20:56:31

pip

(Administrator)

changed of: pip - 09.03.11, 01:01:59

Zitat von macpat:
And that was it Ever since the audio warnings are gone. I checked all settings five times but the wave files are present, I configured by setting the “alert due time”/“2nd alert due time” in the settings and finally put 'Alert based on speed' off. It's a mystery! ;-)
indeed, that sounds quite strange. did you replace the sound file with your own one? maybe piPOIAlert can't read it...

Zitat von macpat:
I read that POI keywords for the alarm type on the PopUp-alert are searched in the POI description (in POI file) [...] Could this be the reason why the sound doesn't play?
the popup alarm is totally independent of the sound alarm. so the keywords only affect the symbols/icons which are shown on the popup alarm at the moment.
the current beta extends the keyword functionality and shows poi category icons in the overview / compass and i'm planning to consider the keywords for the sound alarms as well.

wenn dir piPOIAlert gut gefällt, würde ich mich sehr über eine gute bewertung im entsprechenden store freuen
09.03.11, 01:01:08

DaveNokia

(Beta-Tester)

I have something similar. I do see all descriptions but the icon + sound triggers only once since startup (and just after start up) and for the description that appears randomly first.

4.5017255,52.1620766,blitzer-m One,
4.5017256,52.1620767,blitzer Two,
4.5017255,52.1620767,distance Three,

Is there maybe a sort of truncation for the sound + icon functionality that it is seen as one location (these are locations that are close together)? Btw I am testing stationary since I don't have a car.

But then it is still strange that the sound + icon triggers only once. But sometimes though it is triggered twice and that may be for to different locations.

Zitat:
"[...] but when mini view mode is chosen it's better to put it in background as well, because otherwise it's too slow to work with.

Maybe in a future version when mini view mode is selected it can be made such that it is automatically in background mode, otherwise it is necessary to enter piPOIAlert again to set the mode in background."

I solved this one: after playing a while with menu I found out that when I press for Mode Mini, I have to press down in order to "get out" (Nokia menuitems appears then and the background process grey circle icon in the right top. When I want to get in pipoialert I have to select and then press up and then I have the pipoialert menu again. lachen
09.03.11, 03:16:55

pip

(Administrator)

changed of: pip - 10.03.11, 19:17:37

Zitat von DaveNokia:
I have something similar. I do see all descriptions but the icon + sound triggers only once
as long as the poi is in your "view area" / compass you won't get warned again (only one warning) ... the poi stays marked as "already warned". this flag gets reseted as soon as the poi leaves the compass / view area.

10.03.11, 19:16:37

macpat

(Beta-Tester)

Hi Guys, a quick note to say that everything works 100%. I re-installed piPOIAlert from scratch, looked at the settings and made some slight modifications (sound volume and viewing angle) and it worked just fine from that moment on.
!Congratulations with your fine coding Pip!
Slight remarks:
Would it be possible to make the camera viewing angle even smaller? Now I also get a warning for a Gatso that is on the road that runs parallel with mine, and would it be possible to add a line with the current position while driving (or would this eat too much processing power?)When you see the actual location changing all the time while driving, one is sure that the programming is running. Also, I think it would be great if the speed display would be a bit larger. Again, rather small remarks. You really did a wonderful job.
I am in the process of writing a manual in my mother tongue and will upload it to the flitspaal website. That should make some Nokia owners really happy ;-)
13.03.11, 12:33:22

pip

(Administrator)

Zitat:
Would it be possible to make the camera viewing angle even smaller? Now I also get a warning for a Gatso that is on the road that runs parallel with mine
sure, i'll amplify the range...

Zitat:
and would it be possible to add a line with the current position while driving (or would this eat too much processing power?)
great idea but as you are, i'm concerned about the performance. since i really like the idea i'll give it a shot... lachen

Zitat:
I am in the process of writing a manual in my mother tongue and will upload it to the flitspaal website. That should make some Nokia owners really happy ;-)
... and it makes me happy, i'm glad you like piPOIAlert!

14.03.11, 01:36:24
Go to:
User in this topic
Following 0 guests and the following users read this topic:
Execution time: 0.0133 sec. Database queries: 13